TOP TRENDING

Welsh health minister is calling for more money for workers ahead of a possible two week breaker


The Welsh government is asking for more support from Westminster to protect jobs and businesses from a possible two-week blackout lockdown, the country's health minister said.

Vaughan Gething said the vacation program ends on October 31st and will be replaced by the UK government with a "less generous" job support program.

He told the BBC Politics Wales Show that the Welsh government was "arguing" with ministers in London that a "safer and more generous package" was needed.

From November 1st, the UK government will pay 67 percent of wages – up to a maximum of £ 2,100 per month – for each employee.

Vaughan Gething said the Welsh government is asking for more support from Westminster to protect jobs and businesses from a potential two-week power cut

Cases in Wales hit 950 today and the Minister of Health said local lockouts across the country were ineffective and could therefore be replaced with a full lockout on circuit breakers

Cases in Wales hit 950 today and the Minister of Health said local lockouts across the country were ineffective and could therefore be replaced with a full lockout on circuit breakers

Staff must be unemployed for at least seven days to be eligible and their employer does not have to pay for their salary.

Under the current vacation program, employees receive up to 80 percent of their pay – 20 percent from their employer and 60 percent from the government.

A leaked letter from the transport industry in Wales suggests that a two-week power interruption should be introduced on October 23 at 6 p.m. and will last until November 9, with all but essential retail stores closed.

A final decision on a breaker is expected to be announced on Monday by First Secretary Mark Drakeford.

Mr Gething said the decision was pending, but the Welsh government is having a series of discussions with stakeholders to understand what the lockdown might look like.

According to a leaked letter (picture), a two-week circuit breaker lockout is to be introduced in Wales from next week. The lockdown begins on October 23rd at 6 p.m. and lasts until November 9th. All but major retail stores will be closed

According to a leaked letter (picture), a two-week breaker lockout is to be introduced in Wales from next week. The lockdown begins on October 23rd at 6 p.m. and lasts until November 9th. All but major retail stores will be closed

"It would be extraordinary if we didn't speak to a number of people in Wales and also to the UK government," he told the BBC.

“Part of the challenge is that support for jobs and businesses will change on November 1st. It is a less generous program that will only be available when companies are legally required to shut down.

“The fact is that the new support program available from November 1st is less generous than the vacation program.

"This is the reality we have to deal with as we try to argue with the UK government that a safer, more generous package is required if we are to achieve the desired effect of any kind of national intervention to improve transmission rates reduce." to protect people's livelihoods as much as possible. & # 39;

In the October 16 letter, Pockett writes: "The Welsh government will announce a lockdown on Monday, starting at 6:00 pm on Friday October 23 and continuing through 0001 on Monday November 9 remains." Up in Covanus, Wales, a Covid restriction sign today

In the October 16 letter, Mr Pockett writes: "The Welsh Government will announce a lockdown on Monday, starting at 1800 on Friday October 23 and going through to 0001 on Monday November 9 remains." Up in Covanus, Wales, a Covid restriction sign today

Mr Drakeford said last week that local lockdowns in 17 areas of Wales that affect more than 2.3 million people have not slowed the spread of the virus enough.

A travel ban went into effect on Friday preventing people from areas of the UK with high levels of coronavirus from entering Wales.

Paul Davies, Senedd's conservative opposition leader, said he wanted ministers to speak to Senedd Monday.

"I think it's terrible what we've heard in the last few days," he told the BBC.

“We heard the First Minister say on Friday that they made absolutely no decision, and we see that this letter has been leaked that they made a decision and even given timetables.

A final decision on a breaker is expected to be announced on Monday by First Secretary Mark Drakeford

A final decision on a breaker is expected to be announced on Monday by First Secretary Mark Drakeford

& # 39; That is unacceptable. You should come to Senedd now on Monday to make a statement and explain this and also explain what your plans are.

"It is unacceptable for them to inform organizations before they come to Senedd and make a statement."

Mr Davies said the Conservatives could not support a temporary lockdown until they "see the details".

He said, "I won't support a temporary national lockdown until I know the details and what packages they need to help businesses and people during this time."

Sian Gwenllian of Plaid said a national fire break was "regrettably necessary" but criticized the "drip" of information to the public.

"We are concerned about the delay in decision making and delivery to people and businesses in Wales," she said.

"The Welsh government urgently needs to present its plans for national fire protection in a ministerial declaration by Monday morning at the latest."

Meanwhile, an additional 950 cases of Covid-19 have been diagnosed in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 35,628.

Three more deaths have been reported, according to Public Health Wales, with the total death toll rising to 1,711 since the pandemic began.

A spokesman for the Welsh government said: “The actions we have taken with the help of the people of Wales at both local and national levels have kept the spread of Covid-19 under control.

'However, there is a growing consensus that we need to put in place other measures and measures now to respond to the virus as it continues to spread faster in Wales in the coming autumn and winter months.

Ministers held a series of meetings with senior Welsh government officials, scientists and public health experts over the weekend to discuss their advice on a possible need for a range of measures to combat the virus.

The Welsh Cabinet met tonight to consider this advice. The cabinet will meet again tomorrow morning to take a final decision.

"The First Minister will keep the people of Wales informed of any decisions taken tomorrow."

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) News (t) UK Government News and UK Cabinet Updates (t) London (t) Coronavirus (t) BBC