Dreams of a big wedding were met again at this lunchtime – happy couples will have to cut their wedding guests in half from Monday after the government has reduced the number of people gathered under the new Covid-19 rules to 15.
Boris Johnson left thousands of couples hoping to marry extended friends and family members who were devastated after he lifted the lockdown today to prevent a second surge in the coronavirus.
Speaking in Parliament this afternoon, Mr Jonson said that as of Monday, no more than 15 people will be able to attend wedding ceremonies and receptions in order to tighten the "rule of six". The new restrictions could last for six months.
More than 73,000 weddings and civil weddings have been canceled after a ban was imposed at the beginning of lockdown in March.
Scroll down for video
Weddings were allowed to resume in August with a limit of 30 guests – but stricter Covid restrictions could cut that number in half
Last month the government said it could be resumed but limited the number of guests to 30. Boris Johnson spoke to Parliament this afternoon and confirmed that the number of wedding guests would be limited to 15 – but 30 mourners are at funerals allowed.
Michael Gove today insisted that the government take "reluctant steps" with the new coronavirus measures, but added that they are "absolutely necessary".
Here, FEMAIL is talking to three couples affected by the latest decision and Hitched's wedding expert and editor Sarah Allard about how to have another awkward conversation with suppliers and guests.
Future bride: "We will go ahead: we just want to get married now."
Future bride Felicity Challis, 34, and Leon Davies, 35, had planned to tie the knot with at least 30 of their loved ones and say they were disappointed with the government's latest plans
Felicity Challis, 34, and Leon Davies, 35, were due to get married on October 3rd at St. James the Great in Ruscombe, Berkshire, saying they were "frustrated" that their big day is now being cut short.
Felicity says, "It's so frustrating, especially when I work with hundreds of students in college and my son goes to the local infant school and my daughter goes to the local preschool."
Another tricky conversation: How to reduce wedding guests to 15 without taking offense …
Anyone hoping to get married to their nearest and dearest and around a hundred friends and work colleagues may as well keep dreaming, as the recent government decision puts big weddings off the menu for at least a year. How should the bride and groom deal with disappointment – both their own and that of their guests?
Just weeks after the weddings resume, the government will limit the number of guests to 15
Hitched Editor Sarah Allard: & # 39; The new rules are sure to cause stress and disappointment for couples who have likely already postponed their wedding or started planning a smaller celebration for up to 30 guests.
"The latest news will also deal a serious blow to so many wedding companies that are struggling hard to take care of their couples and keep their businesses alive."
Allard says there are things you can do to make sure your wedding plans don't get completely derailed …
- With your wedding date approaching, speak to your venue and your suppliers as soon as possible – they will be professional and in the best possible position to advise you on your options.
- If you're planning a smaller day, have an honest conversation with your guests – they will appreciate how difficult it will be for you to trim your guest list.
- For those who are yet to join, make sure they are aware of all the health and safety precautions they are supposed to follow that day.
- For those who are no longer able to attend, consider ways to ensure that you continue to feel involved – whether they are live-streaming items like vows or speeches, or whether you watch them separately to celebrate.
She adds, "There are so many bubbles and yet we can't trust friends and family (who are also part of the work and employment bubbles) to celebrate our wedding."
The couple say they "just want to get married" at this point and will therefore continue their wedding plans for the following week with the government's reduced number.
HAPPY FOR THE THIRD TIME? "WE HAVE CANCELED TWICE AND WANT OUR APRIL WEDDING TO FOLLOW – BUT WE CAN DELAY AGAIN!"
A third delay? David Reed, 32, and future wife Samantha Brewis, 29, will be walking down the aisle in Bury next April. However, if there is a chance they could have a normal wedding, it means you could postpone their wedding again
The couple say they are unwilling to change the date again because they don't want to delay family plans.
More Cost: Another delay would cause the couple to lose even more money, it is said
David Reed, 32, and his future wife Samantha Brewis, 29, hope that there will be luck for the third time after canceling their wedding twice after the pandemic.
They should tie the knot at Bury Parish Church, followed by a reception at Eaves Hall in Clitheroe.
The couple said, “We intend to do whatever we can in April as we have canceled twice so as not to further delay our family plans.
“However, if there is a definitive end in sight where we could have a normal wedding, if that is the case in 2021, we would consider postponing it for a few months. It would only mean potentially losing suppliers and cost even more! & # 39;
BEFORE: "EVERYTHING IS IN PLACE – ALL OF THESE COMPANIES DISCONNECT THIS SHORT MESSAGE IS CRUEL"
It continues: Susanne Hunt (57) and her future husband Ian (52) say they are broken by Boris Johnson's recent announcement, but they can't wait any longer
Susanne Hunt, 57, from Swindon, was due to marry future husband Ian, 52, for a week on Saturday.
After ten years together, Susanne and Ian say they are devastated by Boris Johnson's noon announcement – and feel like they have already waited and waited to walk down the aisle.
Susanne told FEMAIL: "We have been together for 10 years and he proposed on New Year's Eve.
We kept working to make sure the day went on and brought our number down to 30. Today's announcement shocked us. "
The heartbroken bride-to-be said, “Everything is there, venue, flowers, cake, photographer … it's cruel to let these businesses down on such short notice.
She says the couple will still get on with their day but now have to figure out what it will be like.
Susanne adds: “The infection rates are lower in the south. How is it fair if funerals can have 30 people? & # 39;
- Will this disrupt your wedding plans? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Femail (t) Coronavirus (t) Boris Johnson