Sydney's iconic New Years Eve fireworks display will take place when NSW Premier pledges to fund the display to "offer a sign of hope to the world".
- Gladys Berejiklian said the state government would offer to pay for the fireworks
- Sydney City Council said it was concerned about the display amid COVID-19
- State authorities reportedly accept that the display will likely be scaled down
- NSW's Minister of Tourism will meet Lord Mayor Clover Moore on Thursday
The New South Wales Prime Minister said the state government would offer to pay for Sydney's New Years Eve fireworks to make sure it goes on.
Sydney City Council, the organizer of the event, has indicated that it is concerned about hosting an event that would draw large crowds to the CBD amid the coronavirus pandemic.
& # 39; This has been a challenging year. We want to offer a sign of hope to the people of NSW – and around the world, "Premier Gladys Berejiklian told the Daily Telegraph.
The New South Wales Prime Minister said the state government would offer to pay for Sydney's New Years Eve fireworks to make sure it goes on
Sydney City Council, the organizer of the event, has indicated that it is concerned about hosting an event that would draw large crowds to the CBD amid the coronavirus pandemic
State authorities reportedly accept that the fireworks will likely be scaled down.
NSW Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres will meet with Mayor Clover Moore Thursday to discuss the state government's proposal.
Treasurer Dominic Perrottet told the newspaper that the fireworks would send a strong signal that NSW was open for business.
“It's time for Sydney to get up and shine after a very dark year. Not only does the traditional fireworks bring joy to so many people, but we will also show that COVID-19 cannot wipe out our spirits and optimism. & # 39;
Ms. Moore has repeatedly told government officials that holding an event like in previous years is too high a risk.
She suggested that the city could still accommodate some night owls, but not to the same extent.
"We hope that by New Year's Eve we can dine outdoors and even indoors, a little more liberally than now," said the mayor last week.
The event typically draws more than a million people into town to see the display.
The Lord Mayor is particularly concerned about the logistics of handling massive crowds on the city's public transport during a pandemic.
She said the city couldn't handle another lockdown.