Record numbers of young people are receiving benefits, with 538,000 under 25s claiming universal credit for lockdown as the government launches a £ 2 billion program to get them into work
- "KickStart" aims to create hundreds of thousands of jobs for "left behind" young people
- The number of people under the age of 25 applying for a universal loan increased by 250,000 when it was blocked
- An increase means one in 13 in seven million Britons between the ages of 16 and 24 have benefits
A record-breaking 538,000 under-25s put universal credit on hold when the government launched a £ 2 billion program today to get them into work.
The employment program, called "KickStart", aims to create hundreds of thousands of roles for young Britons who have been "left behind".
Employers can offer internships for applicants, with the state covering 100 percent of the resulting minimum wage, social security and pension payments.
The number of young people applying for universal loans has increased by 250,000 to 538,000 during the coronavirus lockdown, the Daily Telegraph reported.
That surge, which happened between March and July, means that one in 13 in seven million Britons in the 16- to 24-year-old is now claiming the benefit.
The KickStart program, provided by the Department of Labor and Pensions, is initially open until December 2021.
The youth employment program, called "Kickstart", aims to create hundreds of thousands of jobs for the "retarded" under 25s. Pictured: Rishi Sunak
The government will provide £ 1,500 in grants for assistance and training. Major employers, including Tesco, have signed up so far.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak said, “It's not just about boosting our country's economy – it's an opportunity to boost the careers of thousands of young people who might otherwise be left behind as a result of the pandemic.
"The program will open the door to a better future for a new generation and ensure that the UK bounces back stronger as a country."
Therese Coffey, Secretary of State for Labor and Pensions, added: & # 39; As we launch our £ 2 billion Kickstart program and put young people at the heart of our revitalization, we urge companies to join this innovative program get involved and take advantage of the enormous potential pool out there.
"Participating young people will receive on-the-job training, skills development and mentoring as we take them to the first step on the corporate ladder and on their way to successful careers."
Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative Party leader, warned last night that under-25s could have a "wage scar on their backs" after engaging in such young services.
The system, provided by the Ministry of Labor and Pensions, will initially be open until December 2021. Image: Therese Coffey
The "KickStart" program was launched when Boris Johnson (pictured on Tuesday) claimed "a large number" of employees had already returned to jobs across the UK
He said, “You will give up the habit of work. If a young person does not enter the world of work early, it will be very difficult for them to enter later. Now is the time to damage them or help them. & # 39;
The "KickStart" program came about when Boris Johnson claimed that "a large number" of employees had already returned to jobs across the UK.
The Prime Minister launched a major initiative last week to encourage more Brits to return to work as distant workers were warned that they could be at greater risk of being laid off.
He told the cabinet yesterday "We know there will be more outbreaks," but he is "absolutely confident" that the government will be able to deal with them.
Mr Johnson claimed "a large number" of people are now returning to their offices, and "all right too" in the face of fears that Professor Chris Whitty has been assaulted over government pressure to convince workers to quit working from home , could stop.
The Prime Minister also appeared to acknowledge that his administration has been hit by a number of damaging U-turns in the past few months.
He said, “In the past few months we have been sailing into the teeth of a storm.
"It is necessary to react to the facts when they change, to the change in the wind, but we have steadily gone in the direction we have set out on the course we have set ourselves and have not gone off course."
Mr Johnson met with his cabinet in the large Locarno suite in the Foreign Office – chosen because it offers more space than number 10 so that the ministers can distance themselves socially.
The opulent backdrop will be used for the meetings for the foreseeable future after Mr Johnson had to talk to ministers about Zoom for months.
(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) messages