ENTERTAINMENT

The 14-year-old boy, who died after eating popcorn in the cinema, forgot EpiPen


The 14-year-old student with milk allergy died after eating popcorn when he saw a movie with his parents at the Odeon cinema

  • Ruben Bousquet died after eating sweet popcorn in an Odeon movie theater
  • Ruben was a promising player on the London hockey team Knightz
  • The 14-year-old boy was allergic to cow's milk, raw egg and soy

A talented young ice hockey player died at the age of just 14 after an allergic reaction after eating popcorn in an Odeon movie theater when he left his EpiPen at home.

Ruben Bousquet died after eating sweet popcorn when he watched a film with his parents at an Odeon cinema in London.

The teenager had attended this cinema regularly as a child and ate the same sweet popcorn he had eaten the day he died, his mother told the Southwark Coroner court today.

Ruben Bousquet, 14, left his EpiPen at home when he visited the Odeon to watch a film with his parents

Ruben, a promising player from the London hockey team Knightz, was allergic to cow's milk, raw egg and soy. Food allergies ran in the family, the court heard.

The boy had previously suffered several anaphylactic shocks, including in March 2017, which he survived after taking a picture of his epipen.

On the day of his death, the teenager watched a movie with his parents and ate popcorn with a Fanta drink at around 8:30 p.m. on April 18, 2018.

When he felt uncomfortable, the family decided to return to their home in Balham, London, to access Rubens EpiPen, which he had left behind.

His family called 999 at 20:39.

Ruben breathed well when they got in the car, but as the journey continued, he complained of hives on his torso, his mother told the court.

Judith Bousquet, a human resources manager, said her son started pulling his throat within minutes of reaching her home.

She said, "As soon as he mentioned that he wasn't feeling well, we said let's go. At this point there was no sign of great stress.

"When we got to the car, my husband asked how he was breathing. He said," That's fine, that's fine. "

She added, “But about two to three minutes from the house, he started pulling on his throat. He couldn't even speak, I could see that he was struggling with everything. His chest was puffed up and swollen. & # 39;

On the day of his death, the teenager watched a movie with his parents and ate popcorn with a Fanta drink at around 8:30 p.m. on April 18, 2018

On the day of his death, the teenager watched a movie with his parents and ate popcorn with a Fanta drink at around 8:30 p.m. on April 18, 2018

At home, Ms. Bousquet administered two pictures of his epipen. After the second shot, Ruben collapsed and passed out before his mother started CPR.

Shortly afterwards, rescue workers arrived and took over the CPR before taking him to the Evelina Children's Hospital in central London, where he later died.

Ruben was diagnosed as allergic to certain foods at the age of 18 months and received an epipen.

In addition to his food allergies, he suffered from asthma, conjunctivitis and eczema.

When asked if she had any questions, Ms. Bousquet said, “I wonder if I put the EpiPen in his chest and not in his thigh, if it made a difference. His tongue was swollen. & # 39;

When asked for an answer, Dr. Susan Chang to her: “It is definitely not recommended to put the EpiPen in the chest. I hope you don't feel wrong if you don't. & # 39;

The coroner asked one of Ruben's doctors if his asthma had contributed to his death.

Ruben was diagnosed as allergic to certain foods at the age of 18 months and received an EpiPen

Ruben was diagnosed as allergic to certain foods at the age of 18 months and received an EpiPen

Dr. Chang said, "Asthma is at higher risk for more severe anaphylactic reactions.

“It sounds alarm bells when a child has had a series of severe reactions. It is very likely that he died of a food-related anaphylactic episode. & # 39;

Senior coroner Andrew Harris said today (Wed) at Southwark Coroner's Court: "There is a complex matrix of facts and evidence to consider, not all of which are consistent."

The request is in the first of three days. The cause of death has yet to be confirmed.

Representatives of the Odeon Cinemas, the Food Standards Agency, the London Ambulance Service and the Royal London Borough of Greenwich are said to testify in the course of the investigation.

advertising

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) News (t) London