TOP TRENDING

Terrorist Hashem Abedi is the first to admit his role in planning the attack on the Manchester Arena


Imprisoned terrorist Hashem Abedi has first admitted that he was involved in planning the bombing of the Manchester Arena, which killed 22 people.

Salman Abedi, 22, detonated a backpack bomb at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in a foyer area of ​​the arena known as City Rooms. On May 22, 2017, 22 people were killed and hundreds more injured.

His younger brother Hashem, 23, has been convicted of 22 homicide cases, one attempted murder, and a conspiracy to set off an explosion after a trial in March. He was jailed for at least 55 years in August.

During the investigation into the terrorist attack on December 2, it was found that a worried father waiting to pick up his daughters alerted a young man with a heavy backpack who was acting suspiciously on the upper mezzanine floor of the foyer of the urban space.

Imprisoned terrorist Hashem Abedi (pictured) has admitted for the first time that he was involved in planning the bombing of the Manchester Arena that killed 22 people

Salman Abedi (pictured before the attack), 22, detonated a backpack bomb at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in a foyer area of ​​the arena, known as the City Rooms. On May 22, 2017, 22 people were killed and hundreds more injured

Salman Abedi (pictured before the attack), 22, detonated a backpack bomb at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in a foyer area of ​​the arena, known as the City Rooms. On May 22, 2017, 22 people were killed and hundreds more injured

He told Showsec employee Mohammed Agha of his concerns 17 minutes before the 10.31 p.m. explosion, but it wasn't until some time after 10:20 p.m. that Mr Agha shared the report with colleague Kyle Lawler.

Security officer Lawler, then 18, said he had tried to get into the control room with his radio but failed and returned to his post.

Mr Lawler previously informed the investigation that he had not turned to Salman Abedi, although he had a "bad feeling" about him because he did not want to be branded as a racist.

Independent security experts Colonel Richard Latham and Dr. David BaMaung told the investigation that both men "did not have enough instructions on how to respond or report suspicious behavior and encouraged them to act".

The investigation, which Interior Minister Priti Patel launched last October, examines the background conditions before and during the tragic bombing and is expected to continue until next spring.

Victims (top row, left to right) Elaine McIver, 43, Saffie Roussos, 8, Sorrell Leczkowski, 14, Eilidh MacLeod, 14, Nell Jones, 14, Olivia Campbell-Hardy, 15, Megan Hurley, 15, Georgina Callander, 18 , Chloe Rutherford, 17, Liam Curry, 19, Courtney Boyle, 19, and Philip Tron, 32, John Atkinson, 26, Martyn Hett, 29, Kelly Brewster, 32, Angelika Klis, 39, Marcin Klis, 42, Michelle Kiss, 45 Alison Howe (45) and Lisa Lees (43), Wendy Fawell (50) and Jane Tweddle (51)

Victims (top row, left to right) Elaine McIver, 43, Saffie Roussos, 8, Sorrell Leczkowski, 14, Eilidh MacLeod, 14, Nell Jones, 14, Olivia Campbell-Hardy, 15, Megan Hurley, 15, Georgina Callander, 18 , Chloe Rutherford, 17, Liam Curry, 19, Courtney Boyle, 19, and Philip Tron, 32, John Atkinson, 26, Martyn Hett, 29, Kelly Brewster, 32, Angelika Klis, 39, Marcin Klis, 42, Michelle Kiss, 45 Alison Howe (45) and Lisa Lees (43), Wendy Fawell (50) and Jane Tweddle (51)

It overhears evidence the security precautions of the arena, the "planning and preparation" carried out by the Abedi brothers, the response of the emergency services and the question of whether the attack could have been prevented.

Providing evidence, Col Latham said, “We believe that Agha and Lawler were not adequately supervised and directed.

“Agha and Lawler should have been given explicit and clear briefings on what to do if a member of the public informed them of suspicious behavior. It's not clear that this happened. & # 39;

Mr. Agha said earlier at the hearing that he did not think he could leave his position in front of a fire door in the urban space and failed to attract the attention of his manager who was standing across from him.

Police released video surveillance showing Abedi arriving at the Manchester Arena before the attack

Police released video surveillance showing Abedi arriving at the Manchester Arena before the attack

The investigation will hear evidence of the arena security precautions and the "planning and preparation" carried out by the Abedi brothers. Pictured, Salman

The investigation will hear evidence of the arena security precautions and the "planning and preparation" carried out by the Abedi brothers. Pictured, Salman

Col Latham said Mr. Agha should have had written instructions on what to do in the circumstances and that he was "in a difficult situation" without a cell phone, radio and supervisor.

He said neither man viewed Abedi as a major threat and Mr Lawler was concerned about criticism for escalating something that wasn't a real problem and was accused of creating racist profiles.

Col Latham said, “It is very difficult when you are faced with a situation that could stop an Ariana Grande concert.

“You don't want to make the wrong phone call, but it's actually not your call if you're a very young employee. Your job is to tell someone who is really experienced. & # 39;

Both experts agreed that there would have been enough time to close the exit doors to the urban space if a report about a suspicious man with a backpack had been processed.

A concerned father told Showsec employee Mohammed Agha of his concerns 17 minutes before the explosion at 10:31 p.m., but it wasn't until some time after 10:20 p.m. that Mr Agha shared the report with colleague Kyle Lawler (pictured). Mr Lawler, who was then 18 years old, then said he tried to get into the control room with his radio but failed and then returned to his post

A concerned father told Showsec employee Mohammed Agha of his concerns 17 minutes before the explosion at 10:31 p.m., but it wasn't until some time after 10:20 p.m. that Mr Agha shared the report with colleague Kyle Lawler (pictured). Mr Lawler, who was then 18 years old, then said he tried to get into the control room with his radio but failed and then returned to his post

Dr. BaMaung said "realistically" Abedi would still have detonated his bomb, but there would have been fewer casualties.

The experts also said the lack of oversight was partly to blame for the “inadequate” response by the UK Traffic Police (BTP) to the police.

When the concert-goers left, there were no officers in the city area, the officers took long meal breaks and no one patrolled Victoria Station before Abedi entered the city area and hid in a blind spot under video surveillance for an hour.

Dr. BaMaung said, “I think it would be unfair to just blame the junior officers. I think they made serious mistakes, but I think that was also due to a lack of supervision. & # 39;

Other criticisms from the experts were that arena operators SMG, arena security providers Showsec, and BTP had failed to properly assess the terrorist threat and that there was no effective system in place to identify Abedi's hostile reconnaissance of the venue.

The video surveillance was also "inadequate" as Abedi, with his "unusually large and heavy backpack that affected his gait," failed to notice that he was overclothed because of the weather, looked nervous, did not fit the audience profile and spent an extended period of time in the Urban space.

The experts also found that the mezzanine was not understood and a pre-exit review needed to be performed.

On the mezzanine floor, where Abedi hid for an hour, no security checks were carried out before walking through the city room with his rucksack laden with shrapnel and firing his bomb.

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) messages