TOP TRENDING

Rio Ferdinand is banned from driving for six months after driving at 85 mph in his new Mercedes


Rio Ferdinand is banned from driving for six months today after driving his Mercedes at 85 mph last year.

His ban comes despite his claims in court that his wife Rebecca's 2015 cancer deaths and mother Janice St. Fort's 2017 cancer death meant his children needed him to drive them personally.

The 41-year-old former soccer player exceeded the 100 km / h speed limit on the A27 dual carriageway at the Hangleton Transportation Hub in Hove, East Sussex, on July 22 last year.

He drove a brand new gray two-liter diesel Mercedes and admitted the offense under the new secret Single Justice Procedure Act.

The offense, which included three penalty points, was added to the nine he already has, triggering automatic disqualification.

Ferdinand told the court today he couldn't allow his children to travel with a chauffeur, claiming the trauma of losing their mother and grandmother, as well as the coronavirus crisis, meant he needed his driver's license.

Ferdinand walks at Crawley Magistrates Court

Rio Ferdinand (pictured at Crawley Magistrates Court) is banned from driving for six months today after driving his Mercedes at 85 mph last year

He argued in Crawley Magistrates Court that a ban would constitute "exceptional hardship" as his three children would have to be driven to school and other activities.

The pandemic meant private drivers or taxis were out of the question, Ferdinand claimed.

When asked if he had the means to hire a chauffeur for his children, he replied: “Yes, but I have declared my reluctance to do so.

& # 39; Covid is a problem. I wouldn't let my kids get in a taxi. I wouldn't allow it.

"Even in a normal situation, I wouldn't allow it with my profile."

In defense, Udo Onwere said: "Rio lost his mother two years ago. She was the children's main career because he also lost his wife.

“He has to travel with his children. He is very protective of his children who have had massive trauma twice in their life.

Ferdinand argued in Crawley Magistrates Court that a ban would constitute "exceptional hardship" as his three children would have to be driven to school and other activities

Ferdinand argued in Crawley Magistrates Court that a ban would constitute "exceptional hardship" as his three children would have to be driven to school and other activities

His argument was rejected by Judge Geoffrey Allen

Ferdinand was also fined £ 670 and £ 85 and had to pay a sacrifice surcharge of £ 67

His argument was rejected by Judge Geoffrey Allen, who told him, "Unfortunately, COVID has affected everyone in the world equally." Ferdinand was also fined £ 670 and cost of £ 85 and had to pay a sacrifice surcharge of £ 67

“They really rely on him to take them to and from events.

& # 39; This was exacerbated by the situation with Covid.

“It has been difficult to arrange other people and them, and they are too young to use public transport themselves.

Former England star Rio Ferdinand has hastened crime in the past

Rio Ferdinand is banned from driving for six months today after driving his Mercedes at 85 mph last year.

The offense, which included three penalty points, was added to the nine he already had and triggered automatic disqualification.

Previously, he was banned from driving for six months in 2012 after driving the same route three times within five weeks.

He was also convicted of speeding in 2005, 2003, and 2002 and drink driving in 1997.

Ferdinand's last three speed violations were on March 16, 2017; May 4, 2018 and April 15 last year.

He received three penalty points each time on his license.

He agreed in court that his last two speeding convictions followed a speed awareness course for another similar offense.

“He understands that speeding should not be viewed kindly, which is why we went along with the quick admission of guilt.

'This is a situation that Rio struggles with on a daily basis. It's a big part of being able to drive them around. "

However, the defense was denied by Judge Geoffrey Allen, who told him, "Unfortunately, COVID has affected everyone in the world equally."

Ferdinand was also fined £ 670 and cost of £ 85 and had to pay a sacrifice surcharge of £ 67.

He was previously banned from driving for six months in 2012 after driving the same route three times within five weeks.

He was also convicted of speeding in 2005, 2003, and 2002 and drink driving in 1997.

Ferdinand's last three speed violations were on March 16, 2017; May 4, 2018 and April 15 last year.

He received three penalty points each time on his license.

He told the court it was important that he be allowed to continue driving his three children to two schools and different events, claiming "exceptional hardship" if he was disqualified.

Ferdinand ruled out his wife taking over the driving duties: “It's very difficult with three children, with different activities and different times at school.

“One will go back to school an hour before the other. Normally we would have a school bus, but with COVID that's impossible. & # 39;

He also ruled out taxis and a privately tested chauffeur.

“I wouldn't let my children get into a taxi. COVID is a problem.

“Because of my profile, I wouldn't put my kids in a taxi. I wouldn't allow them to ride with a driver. & # 39;

Ferdinand admitted that he could afford to hire a chauffeur who would be COVID checked and told the court: “That is not specific. These are unprecedented times, you don't get into a car with a driver at all. & # 39;

Ferdinand agreed that his last two speeding convictions followed a speed awareness course for another similar offense.

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Messages (t) Rio Ferdinand