ENTERTAINMENT

Rio Ferdinand is banned from driving for six months after driving at 85 mph in his new Mercedes


Rio Ferdinand received his sixth driving ban today after driving his Mercedes at 85 mph last year.

The 41-year-old former soccer player exceeded the 100 km / h speed limit on the A27 dual carriageway at the Hangleton Transportation Hub in Hove, East Sussex, on July 22 last year and has now been locked for six months.

His ban comes despite his claims in court that his wife Rebecca's 2015 cancer deaths and mother Janice St. Fort's 2017 cancer death meant his children needed him to drive them personally.

The offense, which resulted in three penalty points, was added to the nine Ferdinand already added and triggered an automatic disqualification.

He accumulated nine points in three offenses in 2017, 2018 and two months before his last ticket in May 2019.

Ferdinand had already been banned from driving for six months in 2012 after driving three times on the same route within five weeks.

In 2002, 2003 and 2005 he was banned from driving for exceeding the speed limit and in 1997 he was banned from driving for a year.

Ferdinand's last two beliefs followed a Speed ​​Awareness Course.

The father of three, whose second wife Kate is expecting his fourth child, raced in a brand new gray two-liter diesel Mercedes last July and admitted the offense under the new secret Single Justice Procedure Act.

Ferdinand told the court he couldn't allow his children to travel with a chauffeur, claiming the trauma of losing their mother and grandmother, as well as the coronavirus crisis, meant he needed his driver's license.

Ferdinand walks at Crawley Magistrates Court

Rio Ferdinand (pictured at Crawley Magistrates Court) is banned from driving for six months today after driving his Mercedes at 85 mph last year

Rio Ferdinand exceeded the 100 km / h speed limit on July 22nd last year on the A27 dual carriageway at the Hangleton transportation hub in Hove, East Sussex

Rio Ferdinand exceeded the 100 km / h speed limit on July 22nd last year on the A27 dual carriageway at the Hangleton transportation hub in Hove, East Sussex

He argued in Crawley Magistrates Court that a ban would constitute "exceptional hardship" as his three children would have to be driven to school and other activities.

Ferdinand, from Orpington, southeast London, told the court that the coronavirus meant he didn't want his children to take the bus to school.

He also claimed that his children are still subject to trauma after the death of their mother and grandmother in close succession.

His lawyer Udo Onwere, himself a former professional player, said: “I understand the points raised by the prosecutor that it is possible to reach other agreements.

Former England star Rio Ferdinand has hastened crime in the past as he is banned for the sixth time

Rio Ferdinand had six driving bans.

1997:: Caught driving drinks after celebrating his selection for the English squad. He banned driving for a year, fined £ 500 and retired from the squad.

2002: Ferdinand was given a driving ban for exceeding the speed limit.

2003: He was banned from driving for six months and was fined £ 2,500 for speeding. He was caught after already having nine points on his previous offense license, which triggered an automatic disqualification.

2005: Banned from driving for 28 days after a court heard he had been traveling on a freeway for more than a mile at speeds over 150 km / h.

2012: Banned for six months after being driven on the same road three times in less than six weeks. He already had three points on his license before the offense.

2020: His last driving ban for six months, after he was caught accelerating four times and given 12 penalty points.

"But this is part of their reluctance to travel with others because of the double trauma they have suffered in recent years."

He added, “The last three to four years have been an extremely difficult time in my client's life. There have been bereavements in the family, which means that my client has become a single parent for their children. He has started a new relationship with his wife, who is currently pregnant. & # 39;

The lawyer then related how the death of Ferdinand's mother had left the former soccer player's children more reliant on him for transportation.

He added: “Rio lost his mother two years ago, she was the main carer for his children. He has three children who travel to events and school. He is very protective of his children who, as you can understand, are going to have massive trauma.

"The effects of a ban would be extremely detrimental to the established family as the family will rely on Mr. Ferdinand to take them to and from events."

He added, "Being able to drive them around has improved massively with his oldest son, who is slowly coming out of trauma."

The attorney concluded by asking the judge for indulgence in his decision.

A public prosecutor asked Ferdinand if he was willing to hire a chauffeur to transport his children.

He told the court that he was unwilling to do so during the coronavirus outbreak, adding that his "profile" meant he wouldn't even consider it in times of no pandemic.

The TV expert from BT Sport was in black clothing and with a face mask in court today.

The prosecutor Sharon Allen questioned Ferdinand directly and asked: "Is your wife driving?"

Ferdinand replied: “Yes, but with three children it is very difficult. The times are very different when they have to be there, one will go an hour before the other.

He added, "We would normally have a school bus, but now it's difficult because of COVID."

The most recent driving ban is believed to be the sixth handed to the former footballer

The most recent driving ban is believed to be the sixth handed to the former footballer

Ferdinand argued in Crawley Magistrates Court that a ban would constitute "exceptional hardship" as his three children would have to be driven to school and other activities

Ferdinand argued in Crawley Magistrates Court that a ban would constitute "exceptional hardship" as his three children would have to be driven to school and other activities

His argument was rejected by Judge Geoffrey Allen

Ferdinand was also fined £ 670 and cost of £ 85 and had to pay a sacrifice surcharge of £ 67

His argument was rejected by Judge Geoffrey Allen, who told him, "Unfortunately, COVID has affected everyone in the world equally." Ferdinand was also fined £ 670 and cost of £ 85 and had to pay a sacrifice surcharge of £ 67

Ms. Allen added, "So your children don't come into contact with anyone?"

Ferdinand replied: "Not in a car."

The lawyer then asked the millionaire soccer player if he would consider paying for a chauffeur or a taxi.

Ferdinand said: “I wouldn't let my children get into a taxi. In normal situations, I would not allow it because my profile does not allow it. & # 39;

His lawyer also cited transportation issues raised by COVID.

He said, “Covid makes it difficult for someone else to move them and use public transport.

“Rio understands that speeding should not be viewed kindly, which is why he made an immediate admission of guilt. He asked the court to be lenient about his situation.

Ferdinand's ban comes in court despite claims that his wife Rebecca’s cancer deaths in 2015 and mother Janice St Fort in 2017 meant his children needed him to drive them personally

Ferdinand's ban comes in court despite claims that his wife Rebecca’s cancer deaths in 2015 and mother Janice St Fort in 2017 meant his children needed him to drive them personally

He claimed it was "very difficult" for his current wife, Kate, who is pregnant, to drive with three children

He claimed it was "very difficult" for his current wife, Kate, who is pregnant, to drive with three children

Magistrate Geoffrey Allen returned about 10 minutes later and banned Ferdinand for six months.

He said: “We have listened carefully to your need.

“You told us that your wife drives and that Covid has affected the way you treat your children, but Covid has affected everyone around the world in the same way.

"This does not correspond to the difficulty, so you will be disqualified from today until February 17, 2021. You must surrender your license to the DVLA and before that date you must reapply for this license."

Ferdinand was also fined £ 670 and cost of £ 85 and had to pay a sacrifice surcharge of £ 67.

MailOnline contacted the representatives of the former soccer player.

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Messages (t) Rio Ferdinand