ENTERTAINMENT

Queen and Prince Philip found Balmoral "boring" due to Covid-19 restrictions, royal experts claim


The Queen and Prince Philip found their summer break at Balmoral this year "a little boring" as social distancing rules made it less pleasant due to the coronavirus, a royal expert has claimed.

The 94-year-old monarch and 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh spent six weeks at their Aberdeenshire home before breaking off their trip to Sandringham last month.

The couple spent another two weeks at the Norfolk estate before Her Majesty returned to Windsor Castle on Tuesday. Philip stayed at Wood Farm where he normally lives since retiring from public life in 2017.

Camilla Tominey wrote in the Daily Telegraph that her move from Scotland to the "pared down" Sandringham farmhouse was largely due to the fact that Balmoral "got a little tiring without the typical steady stream of visitors."

The Queen and Prince Philip (pictured together at Windsor Castle in June) found their summer break at Balmoral "a bit boring" this year as the social distancing rules made them less comfortable due to the coronavirus, a royal expert has claimed

Despite the visit from Princess Anne, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Wessexes, it was "just not as comfortable as usual" due to the existing Covid-19 restrictions.

A source told Tominey: "It was a bit boring at times – not just for the staff, but for the royals themselves.

“Balmoral can be a little tricky at times, but the coronavirus has made things even more difficult. Quite a lot of time was spent sitting around and turning your thumbs. & # 39;

During the visit, the Queen's team – nicknamed HMS Bubble – were forced to self-isolate for two weeks before traveling to the Scottish Highlands and were excluded from social activity after their stay.

Despite the visits from Princess Anne, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Wessexes, the summer break at the Scottish castle (picture) was "just not as pleasant as usual" due to the existing Covid-19 restrictions

Despite the visits from Princess Anne, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Wessexes, the summer break at the Scottish Castle (picture) was "just not as pleasant as usual" due to the existing Covid-19 restrictions

Usual highlights including the The annual Ghillies Ball was canceled because of the pandemic, which meant they "had little to do while off duty," Tominey wrote.

She added that another source said "everyone was pretty bored" and the Queen and Duke went to Wood Farm "just to change scenery, more than anything".

The Queen, now living in Windsor again, is expected to make working visits to Buckingham Palace.

Tominey revealed that "select" listeners and other small gatherings adhering to the rule of six have been "entered in the Windsor diary," adding that there are rumors that the Queen will be returning to her weekly meetings with the Prime Minister in person becomes.

An adjutant told the royal expert, “Buckingham Palace is a functioning palace and a symbol of the working monarchy. The queen's gentle strength is never better demonstrated than when she meets foreign leaders and diplomats there. & # 39;

The royal family's annual Christmas celebrations are also up in the air, with the rule of six and social distancing restrictions currently being a drag on the annual Sandringham gathering. Pictured: Prince Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry on Christmas Day 2018

The royal family's annual Christmas celebrations are also up in the air, with the rule of six and social distancing restrictions currently being a drag on the annual Sandringham gathering. Pictured: Prince Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry on Christmas Day 2018

The only public event Her Majesty will currently physically attend is the memorial service at the cenotaph on November 8th. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the unveiling of the Whitehall War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey.

The royal family's annual Christmas celebrations are also up in the air, with the rule of six and social distancing restrictions currently being a drag on the annual Sandringham gathering.

Palace assistants have described it as a "fluid situation" but Tominey suggested that the Queen will "most likely" return to Sandringham.

She added that due to their family of five, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will likely be the first to opt out against her and Prince Philip and instead spend the festive season at their nearby home at Anm Hall.

Tominey suggested that Prince Edward, Sophie Wessex and their two children, Lady Louise, 16, and Viscount Severn, 12, could be the only guests, with Princess Anne spending Christmas with her children Zara and Peter and their families in her bubble Gatcombe estate in Gloucestershire and Prince Andrew remain unremarkable.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are expected to stay in California, where they are reportedly planning a festive celebration with close friends David Foster and pregnant wife Katharine McPhee.

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Femail (t) Prince Philip (t) Coronavirus