Police with machine guns guarded mosque during terrorist attack in Christchurch during Ramadan

A 28-year-old Australian entered a mosque in central Christchurch on Friday afternoon and opened fire on people who had gathered in the building. 50 people were killed and dozens more injured.

This is how the incident happened on March 15 in New Zealand.

1.40 p.m .: First reports of a shootout in a mosque in central Christchurch.

A man entered the mosque with an automatic weapon and opened fire on people inside.

2:11 p.m .: The police confirmed that they were in a developing situation in Christchruch.

Gunshots can be heard in the area in front of the Masid Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue.

Witnesses said they heard several shots. One said that she tried to give CPR to an injured person, but they died.

14.17 p.m.: Several schools were closed in Christchurch.

People who were in the mosque started walking with blood and gunshot wounds.

2nd.47 a.m .: First reports of six deaths, three in critical condition and three with serious injuries.

2:54 p.m .: Police commissioner Mike Bush said the situation was "serious and developing" and urged people to stay inside and stay away from the streets.

The Canterbury District Health Board activated its mass accident plan.

3:12 p.m.: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has canceled her afternoon arrangements.

3:21 pm: Christchurch City Council has blocked many of its central city buildings.

3:33 p.m.: First reports of a bomb in a beige Subaru that crashed on Strickland Street, three kilometers from the shootings.

3.40 p.m.: Police confirmed that several mosques were attacked in Christchurch at the same time.

3.45 p.m.: Reports of multiple shots at the ongoing shootings.

3:59 p.m.: 300 people are said to have been in the moque.

4 p.m.: A person has been confirmed to be in custody, but there are warnings that there may be others outside.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush urges Muslims across New Zealand to stay away from their local mosque.

4.10 p.m.: Jacinda Ardern calls Friday "one of the darkest days in New Zealand".

5.27 p.m.: First reports of a second shoot.

A witness said a Muslim local persecuted the shooters in the Linwood mosque and shot them in "self-defense".

5:31 p.m.: Four people are detained. including a woman.

Several deaths have been reported.

7:07 p.m.: It was confirmed that an AR15 rifle was used in the attack.

7.20 p.m.: Dunedin Street was cordoned off.

The attackers also reportedly wanted to attack the Al-Huda mosque.

7:26 p.m.: At least 40 people were confirmed dead, confirmed Jacinda Ardern.

7:34 p.m.: Confirms that 48 people have been treated in the hospital.

7.46 p.m.: Britomart station in central Auckland was evacuated after bags were found unattended.

The bags were classified as not suspicious.

8:35 p.m.: The New Zealand government confirmed that this is the first time that the level of terror has been raised from low to high.

9:03 p.m.: Police Commissioner Mike Bush confirms that the death toll has risen to 49.