TOP TRENDING

Nine family members die of food poisoning in China after eating noodle soup


Nine family members die of food poisoning in China after eating noodle soup

  • A family of 12 in Heilongjiang, northeast China met for breakfast on October 5th
  • Nine of them fell ill hours after eating pasta made from fermented corn flour
  • The homemade dish was reportedly kept in a freezer and spoiled for a year
  • The other three family members refused to eat it because of its "strange taste".

Nine people in the same family have died of food poisoning after eating homemade noodle soup that was reportedly kept in a freezer for a year.

The Chinese family fell ill within hours of eating Suan Tang Zi, a thick noodle dish made from fermented cornmeal, at a breakfast meeting of 12 relatives on the morning of October 5.

Seven of them were pronounced dead on October 10, while the eighth was pronounced two days later. The last victim died on Monday, Chinese media reported, citing the family.

They ate a dish called Suan Tang Zi, a thick noodle dish made from fermented cornmeal

The Chinese family in Heilongjiang Province fell ill within hours of eating Suan Tang Zi, a thick noodle dish made from fermented cornmeal, at a gathering on the morning of October 5

Seven of the family members were pronounced dead on October 10, while the eighth was pronounced dead two days later. According to Chinese officials, the last victim died on Monday

Seven of the family members were pronounced dead on October 10, while the eighth death was pronounced two days later. According to Chinese officials, the last victim died on Monday

The Chinese Health Commission issued a national warning on Monday urging citizens not to make or eat foods made from fermented flour.

The family, who live in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, ate the local delicacy during the morning meal gathering.

The homemade soup noodle had been stored in a freezer for a year and deteriorated before being eaten, Chinese media reported.

Nine of them who ate the dish were sick and hospitalized within a few hours.

The other three younger family members refused to try the food because of its "strange taste".

Of the nine patients, seven died on October 10 after all treatments failed. The eighth victim was pronounced dead two days later.

The last surviving family member to eat the soup, a woman known by her surname Li, died on October 19, citing the woman's son, according to Chinese media.

Nine people in the same family have died of food poisoning after eating homemade noodle soup that was reportedly kept in a freezer for a year. This file photo shows Chinese people eating at an outdoor restaurant in Yangshuo County, Guilin, southwest China

Nine people in the same family have died of food poisoning after eating homemade noodle soup that was reportedly kept in a freezer for a year. This file photo shows Chinese people eating at an outdoor restaurant in Yangshuo County, Guilin, southwest China

Chinese officials said in a statement that the nine people died of food poisoning after finding "high levels of bongkrek acid" in the noodle soup.

A high concentration of bongkrek acid, a respiratory toxin, was found in the noodles as well as in the gastric fluid of the sick.

Bongkrek acid is the leading cause of poisoning from fermented flour and rice products.

It is extremely toxic, resistant to high temperatures, and cannot be removed even if prepared thoroughly, Fan Zhihong, an associate professor at China's Agricultural University, told Beijing News.

Consumption of food contaminated with bongkrekic acid can cause poisoning and even death for both humans and animals. The death rate is 40 to 100 percent.

advertising