ENTERTAINMENT

Mother, 38, and daughter are fortunate enough to be alive after the World War II shell exploded in their kitchen sink


A mother and daughter who accidentally brought home a WWII grenade from the beach escape death when it explodes in their kitchen

  • Jodie Crews (38) and daughter Isabella (8) found a grenade on the beach
  • Paar stuck a hot needle into the grenade to check if it was whale vomit, but it caught fire
  • The fire department informed Ms. Crews that it was a wax-wrapped grenade from World War II

A mother and daughter are fortunate enough to be alive after an 80-year-old World War II grenade they found on the beach exploded in their sink.

Jodie Crews, 38, and her daughter Isabella, 8, from Deal, Kent, initially thought the grenade was a fossil or an old bone.

Ms. Crews said, “I've posted photos on fossil and archaeological sites and have received many responses, but no one has suggested that it could be a grenade.

One woman thought it looked like whale vomit and said I could find out by poking it with a hot needle. She said a puff of white smoke would come out. & # 39;

Ms. Crews and Isabella then received the shock of their lives when the grenade suddenly went up in flames in the dining room of their home.

The WWII grenade burned itself out in the sink, but melted part of the plastic window sill, damaging the sink, and filling the house with smoke

Ms. Crews said, “It just turned into a fireball. My daughter screamed and ran out the back door. I grabbed the grenade and ran at gun length into the kitchen, where I tossed it into the sink.

& # 39; We just went into survival mode.

Then I rushed upstairs to soak a towel to throw and extinguish. The adrenaline must have kicked in and taken over.

My first thought was to save my daughter, my house, my cats and dogs. With my daughter safe in the garden, I ran back upstairs to fetch the cats – we have four three-week old kittens – and gathered our two dogs, Teegan, a border collie, and Lulu, a Pomeranian. «

Ms. Crews said, "I've posted photos on fossil and archaeological sites and got a lot of responses, but no one suggested that it could be a grenade."

She added, “One woman thought it looked like whale vomit and said I could find out by poking it with a hot needle. She said a puff of white smoke would come out. & # 39;

Ms. Crews said, “I've posted photos on fossil and archaeological sites and have received many responses, but no one has suggested that it could be a grenade. One woman thought it looked like whale vomit and said I could find out by poking it with a hot needle. She said a puff of white smoke would come out. & # 39;

In the meantime, neighbors rushed to help and one called the fire department.

The World War II grenade burned itself out in the sink, but melted part of the plastic window sill, damaging the sink, and filling the house with smoke.

Jodie, who works for Kent County Council and cares for adults with learning disabilities, said, “I was told not to drink from the taps as some of the chemicals in the grenade may have blown it up. It was a fireman who said it was a grenade. He said it was usually covered with a protective layer of wax. & # 39;

She added, “Isabella asked about a metal detector this Christmas. I think she could have a Nintendo Switch instead after that incident. It will be safer. & # 39;

The couple tripped over the grenade as they were walking along Sandown Beach last Saturday.

Ms. Crews recalled: “We were walking the dogs and I found it on the pebbles. We often collect pieces of glass and driftwood when we enjoy making things. We are very artful and crafty.

Jodie Crews (pictured), 38, and her daughter Isabella, eight, from Deal, Kent, initially thought the grenade was a fossil or an ancient bone

Jodie Crews (pictured), 38, and her daughter Isabella, eight, from Deal, Kent, initially thought the grenade was a fossil or an ancient bone

& # 39; It had weird ridges and looked more like a piece of bone. It wasn't very heavy and weighed as much as a bag of sugar. I thought it might be an old knee joint. It didn't feel metallic at all. & # 39;

The couple took it home, where it was a prominent feature on the living room table. Until Thursday, after reading suggestions on social media, Jodie sat down on the carpet to examine the object with a needle.

Once I put the pen in, the case seemed to melt a bit and then the whole thing turned into a ball of fire. We were incredibly lucky. It could have been a hundred times worse. All my friends have promised me that they won't pick anything up from the beach. & # 39;

She believes that the 80-year-old grenade that was left over from World War II may have been washed up by recent storms and floods.

She added, “My daughter was incredibly brave and did everything right. She ran to safety and called for help. I'm very proud of her. & # 39;

advertising

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) messages