TOP TRENDING

Meghan Markle & # 39; had help from palace assistants & # 39; to write a letter to Father Thomas


Kensington Palace aides helped the Duchess of Sussex write what appeared to be a "private" letter to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.

Meghan Markle is suing Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over an article reproducing parts of the handwritten letter to Markle (76) dated August 2018.

The Duchess has alleged that Mail On Sunday has violated data protection and copyright laws by revealing excerpts from the "private and confidential" letter.

But ANL attorneys have alleged in documents filed with the London High Court that the letter was not the 39-year-old King's "own intellectual creation".

They argue that the Kensington Palace communications team "helped" write an electronic draft from which the letter was later "copied".

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are leaving the Commonwealth of duty at Westminster Abbey in London on March 9th this year for their final royal engagement before leaving royal life

Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers Limited over an article that reproduced parts of a handwritten note she sent to her father Thomas Markle (pictured together) in August 2018

Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers Limited over an article reproducing portions of a handwritten note she sent to her father Thomas Markle (pictured together) in August 2018

The filing states: “The applicant (Meghan) must provide evidence that she was the only person who contributed to the drafting of the electronic version.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the Defendant (ANL) concludes that Jason Knauf and / or other members of the Kensington Palace communications team assisted in drafting the electronic draft.

"The parts that resulted from such a contribution are clearly known to the Claimant, Jason Knauf, and others on the team."

It comes after it turns out that the Duchess's data protection campaign against ANL will not be negotiated until the fall of next year, after being postponed last month for a "confidential reason".

Mr Justice Warby agreed on October 29th to adjourn the trial – which was due to begin January 11th next year – until the fall after an earlier private hearing.

Thomas Markle shows off a souvenir he kept on Harry and Meghan's mantelpiece from their wedding that he was unable to attend during his Channel 5 documentary back in January this year

Thomas Markle shows off a souvenir he kept on Harry and Meghan's mantelpiece from their wedding that he was unable to attend during his Channel 5 documentary back in January this year

A court artist sketch by Mr Justice Warby (bottom left) Antony White QC (bottom right) for ANL and Meghan's attorney David Sherborne during a virtual high court hearing on April 24th

A court artist sketch by Mr Justice Warby (bottom left) Antony White QC (bottom right) for ANL and Meghan's attorney David Sherborne during a virtual high court hearing on April 24th

The judge said the private hearing was necessary to protect the confidentiality of the information provided by Meghan in her motion to postpone the trial.

The confidential information was cited by the judge as the "main reason" for the Duchess to want the trial to be adjourned – and ANL did not deny her request.

However, ANL's lawyers have asked the judge to look into Mr Markle's situation. He is "older and sick" and wants and intends to testify in court.

The judge said other reasons put forward by the Duchess' Legal Department in support of the postponement are Meghan's motion for summary judgment – a legal move Meghan is trying to resolve without trial.

Harry and Meghan after their wedding at St. George & # 39; s Chapel in Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018

Harry and Meghan after their wedding at St. George & # 39; s Chapel in Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018

The court will hear the summary judgment motion in January next year if Meghan's attorneys argue that ANL's defense has no prospect of success in a lawsuit.

Her attorneys also brought in an offer to contest another judge's decision, which allowed ANL to rely on an unauthorized biography of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex called Finding Freedom in defending the claim, which Mr. Justice Warby refused has been.

At a separate hearing last month, Judge Francesca Kaye addressed issues relating to the disclosure of relevant documents prior to trial.

The judge denied a motion from Meghan's attorneys to include Paul Dacre – the former editor of the Daily Mail and current editor-in-chief of DMG Media, the holding company of ANL – as the "administrator" of potentially relevant documents pertaining to the publisher's belief that the publication should of the Duchess's letter to her father was in the public interest.

Mr Justice Warby (pictured) agreed on October 29th to adjourn the trial - which was due to begin January 11th next year - until the fall after an earlier private hearing

Mr Justice Warby (pictured) agreed on October 29th to adjourn the trial – which was due to begin January 11th next year – until the fall after an earlier private hearing

Sections of the letter to Mr. Markle were published in the newspaper and online last February, and it was announced that the Duchess would take legal action in October.

The headline of the article read: "Revealed: The Letter Revealing the True Tragedy of Meghan's rift with a father she says" broke her heart into a million pieces ".

The Duchess is demanding compensation from ANL, the publisher and operator of the newspaper's website, for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and violation of data protection law.

ANL fully denies the allegations, specifically the Duchess's claim that the letter was edited in a way that changed its meaning, and says he will argue the case ardently.

Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers over five articles, two in Mail On Sunday and three in MailOnline, that were published in February 2019.

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Nachrichten (t) Royals (t) Meghan Markle (t) Prince Harry