TOP TRENDING

In Scotland and Wales, after spikes in some cases, half a million more people were locked in on the ground


Local lockdowns are expected to begin in parts of Wales and Scotland starting tomorrow after major spikes in areas of coronavirus cases.

In Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire in western Scotland, new restrictions will be introduced from midnight. A similar crackdown will go into effect for Caerphilly County, South Wales, at 6 p.m. tomorrow.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned that Scotland must "step up" its efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus, or that it must "curb" the return to greater normalcy.

The 180,000 people who live in the Renfrewshire parish and the 110,000 in East Dunbartonshire have been told not to get into other people's homes after a surge in coronavirus cases.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned that Scotland must "step up" efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus as two other Scottish councils faced a local lockdown

The areas join Glasgow, East Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire where expanded restrictions were introduced last week.

The area's 1.1 million residents were also told not to visit homes in other parts of the country, while only allowing "essential" visits to hospitals and nursing homes indoors.

Further plans to ease restrictions on live sports and reopen entertainment venues have also been questioned due to the recurrence of the virus.

Ms. Sturgeon said, “In the past few weeks we have seen a new surge in new Covid-19 cases in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Department.

After reviewing the cases where cases are identified, the public health experts treating this outbreak advise extending the indoor gathering restrictions to Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire and continuing for at least another seven days in Glasgow, East Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire.

New restrictions will be introduced in Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire in western Scotland from midnight

New restrictions will be introduced in Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire in western Scotland from midnight

The 180,000 people who live in the Renfrewshire parish and the 110,000 in East Dunbartonshire have been told not to get into other people's homes after a surge in coronavirus cases

The 180,000 people who live in the Renfrewshire parish and the 110,000 in East Dunbartonshire have been told not to get into other people's homes after a surge in coronavirus cases

“It is necessary to help us limit the spread of Covid-19. If we act now, we will have the time and space to protect people and gain more control over the virus. "

Yesterday's most recent daily numbers showed an additional 146 people tested positive for coronavirus – a day after the cases rose at the highest number in nearly four months.

No new coronavirus deaths have been reported in Scotland in the past 24 hours, but 146 new cases have been recorded.

A total of 2,496 patients have now died in Scotland after testing positive for coronavirus.

During the Scottish Government's daily coronavirus briefing, the First Minister said 21,543 people had tested positive for the virus in Scotland.

People living in Caerphilly county will not be allowed to enter or leave the area without a proper apology when restrictions go into effect from 6 p.m. Tuesday, the Welsh government said

People living in Caerphilly county will not be allowed to enter or leave the area without a proper apology when restrictions go into effect from 6 p.m. Tuesday, the Welsh government said

There have been 133 new Covid-19 cases in the Caerphilly district in the past seven days, a rate of 55.4 cases per 100,000 population

There have been 133 new Covid-19 cases in the Caerphilly district in the past seven days, a rate of 55.4 cases per 100,000 population

Of the new cases, 78 are in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, 19 in Lanarkshire and 13 in Lothian.

Scotland's most recent review of lockdown restrictions is due to take place on Thursday, but Ms. Sturgeon said, "We may have to slow down some more changes."

According to Matt Hancock, the coronavirus vaccine is expected to be used in the first few months of 2021

Oxford University's coronavirus vaccine will most likely be launched in the first few months of next year, according to Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

The surge was expected in late 2020, but its creators have tempered expectations and pushed it back until next year.

Mr Hancock said today he still has optimism that the most vulnerable people will get their hands on the vaccine in the coming months in a "best-case" scenario.

But he admitted that the more likely outcome would be a 2021 rollout known as AZD1222, created by Oxford and owned by UK drug giant AstraZeneca.

The Minister of Health announced that 30 million doses have already been made in the UK, enough to vaccinate half the population.

He said they could be distributed to those most in need on standby once the vaccine gets the green light from regulators.

Mr Hancock said on LBC radio today: & # 39;We have already completed 30 million cans with AstraZeneca.

“In fact, they start making these cans before the approval, so the approval should get through – and it's still not certain, but they look it up – if that approval gets through we are ready to bring them in.

& # 39; The best scenario is for it to happen this year. I think the beginning of next year is more likely – the first few months of next year is the most likely.

"But we also bought vaccines before they were approved by an entirely different set of international vaccines."

The Oxford vaccine has not yet been proven to work, but early studies have shown promising results. Tests have shown that the vaccine is safe to use in humans and appears to produce an immune response. However, data to show it is protecting people is not expected until later this year.

More than 50,000 people around the world are taking part in Phase 3 trials to see if the Oxford shock can actually prevent people from becoming infected with Covid-19.

In these tests, the vaccine will be given to tens of thousands of people in real-world settings to see if it is preventing them from catching Covid-19 in the community.

Scientists behind the sting had to move their studies abroad this summer – to South Africa, Brazil, and the United States – where Covid-19 is still widespread to speed up the trials.

In the UK, there are no longer enough people infected with the virus to reliably test whether the bite is working.

"We have to take this trend seriously and if we want to avoid having to shut down parts of our economy again, and I think we all want to avoid that, we have to step up our other ways of keeping Covid under control," she said.

"This is really a key moment and I want to be fairly frank with you in my assessment today."

People living in Caerphilly County will not be allowed to enter or leave the area without a proper excuse when restrictions go into effect from 6 p.m. Tuesday, the Welsh government said.

All over 11s must wear face covering in stores. This is the first time this is mandatory in Wales.

As in Scotland, meeting other people indoors and in extended households is not permitted, and overnight stays are also prohibited.

There have been 133 new Covid-19 cases in the Caerphilly district in the past seven days, a rate of 55.4 cases per 100,000 population.

This is the highest rate in Wales and one of the highest in the UK – and the number of cases is expected to rise, the Welsh government said.

Health Secretary Vaughan Gething said, “We have seen, in a very short space of time, a significant increase in the number of cases in Caerphilly associated with overseas vacation travel and people talking indoors and not following social distancing guidelines.

Community testing was introduced in Caerphilly over the weekend.

450 people were tested on Saturday and 19 had the virus – a 4 percent positivity rate, which indicates that Covid-19 is circulating in the community.

Caerphilly Council has already put in place measures such as the suspension of nursing home visits and the introduction of weekly testing for nursing home staff to respond to the increase in cases.

Philippa Marsden, Chair of Caerphilly Council, said: “We need to interrupt the cycle of infections we are currently seeing in the Caerphilly district and that unfortunately means introducing new, tighter restrictions.

“I would like to urge everyone living in the region to follow these new measures. Follow social distancing guidelines and wash your hands regularly.

On Monday before, Public Health Wales had reported the highest number of positive Covid-19 cases in months and warned of a "significant" increase in the Caerphilly area.

Another 133 people tested positive for coronavirus, the highest daily number since June 27, when 140 cases were reported.

There have been no other deaths in people with coronavirus, with the total in Wales remaining at 1,597 since the pandemic began.

Numerous schools have been affected by coronavirus since the fall semester began, including a class of 21 students at an elementary school in the Caerphilly area who are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Dr. Giri Shankar of Public Health Wales appealed to everyone in the Caerphilly area to use a local testing unit at the city's leisure center if they had "even the mildest" symptoms or were "generally unwell with no explanation".