Prince Harry and Meghan Markle filed a lawsuit in California accusing anonymous paparazzi photographers of taking "illegal" drone pictures of their son Archie.
The lawsuit filed on Thursday alleged "serial intrusions" on the privacy of 14-month-old Archie in the LA home that Harry and Meghan had been living in since March.
The couple says they are taking legal action to protect Archie from an "artificial feeding frenzy" after claiming that the paparazzi had flown helicopters over her house and cut holes in a fence to take pictures.
They also accuse photographers of placing Archie's misleading captions in the back garden to indicate that they were taken in a public place.
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are filing this lawsuit to protect their little son's right to privacy in their home without the intervention of photographers and to uncover and stop those who wish to benefit from these illegal acts," said her lawyer.
The lawsuit, filed with the California State Supreme Court, Los Angeles County, cited "serial interventions" in the couple's 14-month-old child's privacy and served as a measure to protect them from the "manufactured feeding frenzy". Meghan and Harry are pictured with Archie in 2019
Meghan, Harry, and one-year-old Archie have been living in Hollywood producer Tyler Perry's $ 18 million mega-mansion in the exclusive Beverly Ridge neighborhood since moving to LA in March.
In their lawsuit, they said they had taken significant privacy measures in Tyler's villa, including the construction of a large chain link fence around the property to protect themselves from telephoto lenses.
But they cannot protect themselves from drones that are flown "only 20 feet above the house as often as three times a day".
According to the legal documents, helicopters flew over the residence at 5:30 a.m. and only at 7:00 p.m., which meant that "neighbors and their son were woken up every day".
“Every individual and family member in California is legally guaranteed the right to privacy in their home. No drones, helicopters or telephoto lenses can override this right, ”said the couple's lawyer, Michael Kump.
The Duke and Duchess say that they expect to be persecuted when they go public, but state that "certain paparazzi and enablers have crossed a red line".
Harry and Meghan's complaint accuses the paparazzi of "intimidation, harassment and the addition of a very real security threat in addition to what already exists".
The lawsuit filed by Kump said that some media flew helicopters over the house and that photographers had even cut holes in their fence to take pictures.
They said the behavior crossed a red line for each parent by buying pictures of their son.
The couple seeks "no special treatment" and only seeks the right to be left alone in the privacy of their home, as guaranteed by California law.
Harry and Meghan claim they have "done everything in their power to stay out of the spotlight" except for what they consider to be current work.
Meghan and Harry have only been spotted a few times since moving to LA in March. Most recently, they left an appointment in Beverly Hills when the friend said the couple were beginning to feel "penned in" and Meghan was ready to get out of the city for her birthday. Pictured on July 10th
Harry and Meghan's suit also claims that the photographer trying to sell their son's pictures claims that they were publicly taken in Malibu.
But the couple have not been in the area or in public with their son since moving to LA, saying the snapper is simply trying to hide the fact that they have "unsolicited photos of a young child in the privacy of their own home" are "very illegal".
They also tried to lower the price for Archie photos by sharing pictures of him on social media.
Since Harry and Meghan don't know who took the pictures, the lawsuit is directed against anonymous defendants, which allows the couple to pursue anyone who sells the pictures.
Harry blames the press intrusion for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, in 1997 and claimed last year that Meghan had "fallen victim to the same powerful forces".
Diana died in a high-speed car accident when her chauffeur tried to escape paparazzi photographers in Paris.
A statement from Buckingham Palace after the Megxit agreement was signed in January said that the couple had experienced "challenges" due to "intense scrutiny" since their marriage in 2018.
Earlier this year, the couple announced that it was breaking ties with UK's most popular newspapers, which has been criticized by royal and media commentators.
The Sussex Royal website says the couple will instead "engage with grassroots media organizations and emerging young journalists."
The couple stunned the world in January with the announcement that they would "step down as senior members of the royal family" and "work to become financially independent".
After setting up camp in Canada, they moved to Meghan's hometown of Los Angeles and stayed there during the coronavirus crisis.
The couple moved to LA in March, but royal expert Victoria Murphy believes they are not looking for a "completely private life". They say they resigned from the royal family to gain more control over what they spend their time for.
Speaking to city and country, the commentator noted that Harry and Meghan still want public life, but have more control over their time.
[Harry and Meghan] have not resigned in search of a completely private life, but a different kind of public life, ”said Victoria. "A public life in which they can have more control over who has access to them and what they spend their time doing."
Meghan Markle speaks at a virtual Women in Leadership Summit on July 14, four months after the royal couple moved to Los Angeles
The couple were spotted only a few times, most recently when they left an appointment in Beverly Hills when the friend said the couple was starting to feel "penned in" and Meghan was ready to leave town for her birthday.
Meanwhile, royal observers eagerly await the publication of a new biography Finding Freedom: Harry, Meghan, and the emergence of a modern royal family.
The authors boast that the book released next month "was written with the involvement of those closest to the couple."
Publishers say the book has "unique access" and will "reveal unknown details of Harry and Meghan's coexistence."
Harry and Meghan have reportedly spoken to the authors in person, although this has not been confirmed.
Regardless, it was recently announced that Meghan's mother Doria Ragland had moved into Tyler Perry's mega-villa to take care of Archie.
A friend previously told DailyMail.com that Meghan wanted to keep her mother nearby because she is "her rock" and now "unfamiliar to many people" outside of an immediate circle of family and friends.
Meghan had her mother's full support when she and Prince Harry quit as Senior Royals in January.
When the Duke and Duchess of Sussex dropped the bombing news that they were going to quit and split their time between North America and Britain and working to become financially independent, the royal family and the rest of the world were unprepared.
However, Meghan has reportedly had the support of her Los Angeles mother, who was "really worried about Meghan … and relieved that her daughter puts her mental health and wellbeing at the forefront," the insider said.
The friend added, "Doria is very much about staying true to yourself, so of course she will continue to encourage Meghan to take the less-traveled road."