The 27-year-old fitness fanatic died in her garden after drinking alcohol on an empty stomach, which triggered a rare reaction
- Alice Burton Bradford of Brighton suffered from alcoholic ketoacidosis
- The metabolic complication can be triggered by drinking on an empty stomach
- Friends say Ms. Burton Bradford is not an alcoholic or fitness fanatic
- She died on June 1 in the garden of her home without reaching the hospital
A 27-year-old health freak died after drinking alcohol on an empty stomach.
Brighton's Alice Burton Bradford suffered from alcoholic ketoacidosis – a metabolic complication that can be triggered by drinking without first eating.
She died on June 1 in the garden of her home without reaching the hospital.
Friends say Ms. Burton Bradford is not an alcoholic and a fitness fanatic who loves cycling and running.
Her friend Aaron Mulvay, 30, who has known her for eight years, requests more information about the condition to prevent similar tragedies.
Alice Burton Bradford, 27, of Brighton, died on June 1 after drinking alcohol on an empty stomach
She died in the garden of her home without reaching the hospital. Pictured: Mrs. Burton Bradford and close friend Aaron Mulvay, 30
What is alcoholic ketoacidosis?
Alcoholic ketoacidosis is caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
Alcohol can cause the body to stop producing insulin.
Due to a lack of insulin, the body cannot use glucose for energy.
Instead, it starts burning fat that produces ketone bodies.
The more fat is burned, the more ketone bodies build up in the bloodstream.
It is the excess number of ketones in the blood that causes ketoacidosis.
This can cause symptoms such as abdominal pain, slow movements, nausea and vomiting and can bring people into a coma.
Mild cases can be treated with vitamins and nutrients – but the condition can be life-threatening.
He said: & # 39; It was absolutely a terrible shock. Nobody expected it. Only three weeks before her death she had cycled over to say hello some distance away.
“I had never heard of alcoholic ketoacidosis until her death.
"We're not sure how much she drank this weekend, but she wasn't an alcoholic.
& # 39; she hadn't eaten enough and it had triggered an acid in her stomach.
"It was just so sudden – she didn't even have to go to the hospital, but went to her garden and died there.
"It is as tragic as she was so young."
Ms. Burton Bradford passed away last month and an investigation is expected.
Mr. Mulvay from Rottingdean described her as a fun person who loved nature and running.
They met while working at The Font Bar in Brighton.
“We worked at The Font for four years, but after she left we were really good friends.
“We loved going to festivals together, like the Wildlife Festival in Shoreham.
Mr Mulvay, who is in close contact with Mrs Burton Bradford's Cornwall family, has so far raised £ 979 as part of a crowdfunding campaign for a memorial bank.
He said: “None of us could go to Alice's funeral, so we want to erect a memorial to say goodbye.
Mr Mulvay (pictured with Mrs Burton Bradford), who is in close contact with Mrs Burton Bradford's family, who lives in Cornwall, has so far raised £ 979 as part of a crowdfunding campaign for a memorial bank
“We want it to be placed on the cliffs where Alice took her dog for a walk, or in a nice park because she loved wildlife.
“We just want to collect as much as possible for a bank monument and what is left will be donated to a charity.
"I definitely believe that if you have not eaten properly, there must be more information about the dangers of drinking.
"Alice had so many friends and she will be missed a lot."
Click here to donate to Mr. Mulvay's GoFundMe page.
(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) messages (t) alcohol