ENTERTAINMENT

Ellen FIRES three top producers according to "toxic" claims in the workplace


The Ellen DeGeneres Show fired three top producers after alleging sexual misconduct and workplace bullying on the set.

Executive producers Ed Glavin and Kevin Leman as well as co-executive producer Jonathan Norman were ousted from the popular talk show due to allegations of current and former employees, according to Variety.

Glavin and Leman were also banned from other DeGeneres-produced shows, including NBC's "Ellen & # 39; s Game of Games".

DeGeneres shared the news with employees in a video conference call Monday afternoon in which they described the recent allegations as "heartbreaking," a point of sale source said.

The Ellen DeGeneres Show fired three top producers after alleging sexual misconduct and workplace bullying on the set

Warner Bros. confirmed to Variety Monday that Glavin, Leman and Norman broke up with the show.

An "emotional" and "apologetic" DeGeneres announced the decision in a call with more than 200 workers, sources told Variety.

They said the host – who herself was accused of promoting a "toxic environment" – admitted that she was "not perfect" and that the show's directors were not sensitive to "people" as they focused on it instead that show to conduct as a "well-oiled machine".

DeGeneres also admitted that the show had alienated staff and guests by postponing shooting schedules at short notice, and promised the show would stick to agreed schedules going forward.

The start date for the 18th season of the show has also been postponed by a week to September 14, the employees said.

DeGeneres as well as longtime executive producers Mary Connelly, Andy Lassner and Derek Westervelt will continue their positions on the show.

A Leman attorney said his client was "devastated" for being a "scapegoat" and described his fall from the show as "shocking".

"The fact that a deeply flawed BuzzFeed article resulted in the termination of an innocent man – a popular character and creative force behind the 'Ellen' show and a number of other projects produced with Ellen – is shocking," said Michael Plonsker in a statement relating to a Buzzfeed article that first appeared allegations against the producer.

"Kevin is devastated that he has a scapegoat and isn't ready to comment yet."

Picture left to right top producers on the show Andy Lassner, Jonathan Norman, Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin and Kevin Leman at the 44th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards 2017. Glavin, Leman and Norman have all been ousted from the popular talk show

Picture left to right top producers on the show Andy Lassner, Jonathan Norman, Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin and Kevin Leman at the 44th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards 2017. Glavin, Leman and Norman have all been ousted from the popular talk show

Norman, Lassner, Leman, Glavin and Connelly from left to right. Glavin and Leman were also banned from other DeGeneres-produced shows, including NBC's "Ellen & # 39; s Game of Games"

Norman, Lassner, Leman, Glavin and Connelly from left to right. Glavin and Leman were also banned from other DeGeneres-produced shows, including NBC's "Ellen & # 39; s Game of Games"

Three of the top producers are laid off as the series is in the midst of an internal investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct on set and workplace bullying.

The investigation was first sparked by a buzzfeed expose on the show last month.

The July 16 article revealed allegations by one current and ten former employees of Ellen's talk show that they experienced racism, fear and intimidation while working on the long-running series, accusing producers Lassner, Connelly and Glavin of bullying.

The show then faced additional sexual misconduct allegations in a second BuzzFeed News article on July 30, in which dozens of men and women accused Leman, Glavin and Norman of sexual harassment, misconduct, or assault.

Leman and Norman denied the claims. She and Glavin were immediately suspended while Warner Bros. opened an investigation.

DeGeneres (pictured on the show) shared the news with show staff in a video conference call Monday afternoon, describing the recent allegations as "heartbreaking," a point of sale source said

DeGeneres (pictured on the show) shared the news with show staff in a video conference call Monday afternoon in which they described the recent allegations as "heartbreaking," a point of sale source said

DeGeneres himself was also accused of creating a "toxic environment" behind the scenes of the show.

One of the most recent allegations this week came from a former camera assistant who compared the programming environment to the film The Devil Wears Prada.

The anonymous former employee told presenters on Australian radio show Stav, Abby & Matt that employees were not even granted basic rights such as overtime and water.

"I worked there for a little over a year," she said on Tuesday.

& # 39; There's a culture of competition at the fair. You will be constantly reminded that the show is that behemoth and will be there with or without you. & # 39;

DeGeneres publicly responded to allegations made against the show on July 31.

In a statement, the 62-year-old apologized and said that as the face of the show, she "took full responsibility".

She added that as her program grew, she had "been unable to keep track" and instead "relied on others to do their job because they knew I wanted to get it done".

"Obviously some didn't," she continued. "That is about to change and I am determined to make sure that doesn't happen again."

Since the allegations came to light, a number of stars have jumped to Ellen's defense, including her wife Portia de Rossi, singer Katie Perry and former TV presenter Jay Leno.

(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Messages (t) Ellen DeGeneres