Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak "fight over £ 15 billion defense money" as the coronavirus crisis hits public finances
- Boris Johnson has insisted that the Chancellor guarantee defense spending through 2025.
- Mr Sunak said he was aiming for a one-year defense deal worth £ 1.9 billion
- Chancellor and Prime Minister met on Tuesday to discuss, but still "miles apart"
Boris Johnson has argued with Rishi Sunak over a planned multi-year deal over £ 15 billion for Britain's defense, it said today.
The prime minister has insisted that the chancellor guarantee defense spending through 2025 before an upcoming integrated defense review, the Times reported.
The review, paused in April when the coronavirus crisis hit the UK, will "define the government's ambitions for the UK's role in the world and long-term strategic goals for our national security and foreign policy".
However, Mr Sunak is said to seek a one-year defense deal worth £ 1.9 billion as part of a spending review due to be released on November 25.
A source said: "The Prime Minister and Dom (Cummings) believe the issue is central to Britain's place in the post-Brexit world."
Boris Johnson has insisted that the Chancellor guarantee defense spending through 2025 ahead of an upcoming integrated defense review, reports say
However, Rishi Sunak is said to be aiming for a one-year defense deal worth £ 1.9 billion as part of a spending review due to be released on Nov. 25
A second source alleged that Mr. Cummings, "angry" at the decision, is pushing for a multi-year deal alongside Secretary of Defense Ben Wallace.
Mr Johnson met with the Chancellor Tuesday, sources said, but the two were still "miles apart" after the conversation.
A Whitehall insider added that another meeting between Prime Minister Sunak and Wallace that was scheduled for the next day has been canceled.
There are fears that the Department of Defense's integrated review may be "pointless" without the £ 15 billion multiannual deal it supports.
The department could face a "black hole" of up to £ 13 billion in its ten-year equipment budget if a cash injection is not imminent, it said.
It comes as Mr. Sunak will announce the government's spending plans for the next year on November 25, so the Chancellor and Prime Minister have weeks to clear the details.
The Chancellor had already confirmed that he would abolish a planned multi-year spending review following the turmoil caused by the pandemic.
It comes as Mr. Sunak will announce the government's spending plans for the next year on November 25, so the Chancellor and Prime Minister have weeks to clear the details
Instead, he will devise a 12 month plan that will aim to deal with the dire financial effects of the global shutdown.
The prime minister wanted to use the three-year spending review to set out his master plan for delivering on his promise to "level" the nation.
Mr Sunak said on Wednesday: “On November 25th, along with the Office of Budgetary Responsibility (OBR) forecast, I will present the 2020 Spending Review and the spending plans for the next year so we can continue to prioritize and protect our response to Covid-19 Jobs. & # 39;
Moving to a one-year review will have an impact on the broader program that examines Britain's defense spending and foreign policy priorities.
The integrated security, defense, development and foreign policy review is designed to define the government's vision for Britain's role in the world over the next decade.
The Prime Minister's official spokesman said last week: "We are considering the impact of the annual spending review on the integrated review and will update this in due course."
The lack of a long-term funding arrangement will make it difficult for the department to plan for the future when its budget is already heavily burdened.
(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) Nachrichten (t) Rishi Sunak (t) Boris Johnson (t) Coronavirus