At least four people, including two journalists, were brutally stabbed with a meat cleaver on the same street as Charlie Hebdo's former office in Paris.
Two victims are fighting for their lives after the brutal attack that was carried out in broad daylight on Friday.
Police arrested two men after they were found with blood on their clothes near the Opera Bastille.
Two of the victims were confirmed as husband and wife working for Premieres Lignes, a French news and video agency.
The couple work on the production team at the company that publishes a number of documentaries and previously won a Pulitzer Prize for work on the Panama Papers Inquiry.
The prosecutors are investigating whether the attackers were linked to terrorist groups.
It comes five years after the horrific Charlie Hebdo attacks on the same street that killed 12 people, and there is also a trial of 14 suspects who allegedly contributed to the conspiracy of the attack that suspended Friday after the recent knife wounds has been.
At least four people were stabbed to death near the former headquarters of Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris
Two of the victims were "extremely bad," said an investigation source after the attacks on Friday afternoon
Forensic scientists work on site after the killing spree, in which two are in critical condition
Two men were arrested after they were found with blood on their clothes near the attack
Two of the victims were confirmed as husbands and wives working for Premieres Lignes, a French news and video agency
Two of the victims were "extremely bad," said an investigation source after the attacks on Friday afternoon.
A production company witness said she saw the attack carried out.
She told AFP: “Two colleagues were smoking a cigarette downstairs in the building. I heard screams and went to the window and saw one of my bloodstained colleagues, followed by a man with a machete in the street. & # 39;
It is unclear what motivated the attack or if it had any connection with Charlie Hebdo, who moved from office after being attacked by Islamic extremists in 2015.
Jean Castex, France's Prime Minister, took part in what he described as a "very serious attack" involving a man with a meat cleaver.
French soldiers rush to the scene after people are injured with a knife after attacking a man
Witnesses said two of the victims were taking a smoke break outside their office when the attack took place
The 23-year-old witness Hassani Erwan told AFP: "Around noon we went to a restaurant for lunch, but when we arrived the owner started yelling," Go, go, there is an attack! "
"We ran away immediately and locked ourselves in a deal with four other customers."
Richard Lenoir, who lives on the street, said to Le Parisien: "It's starting again, the same fear as five years ago, the same pictures on the street, it's heartbreaking."
Charlie Hebdo (former offices pictured) is now releasing from a secret address in Paris, and many employees have bodyguards
Police said there was "extreme concern" today that those responsible for the knife wounds might strike again
Police said there was "extreme concern" today that those responsible for the knife wounds might strike again.
Local schools in the 3rd, 4th and 11th arrondissements have been closed and people are being advised to stay in their offices and homes.
Valérie Pécresse, President of the Paris region Ile-de-France, said: “Very shocked by the murderous attack near the former Charlie Hebdo offices in a Parisian arrondissement that has already paid a heavy price for violent terrorism.
"I support the authorities who are now pursuing the perpetrator."
Charlie Hebdo is now posting from a secret address in Paris, and many employees have bodyguards.
Local schools in the 3rd, 4th and 11th arrondissements have been closed and people are being advised to stay in their offices and homes
There is a trial taking place in the French capital dealing with the January 2015 attacks that shocked the world after the death of 12 people.
Her main targets were employees of the satirical magazine, which had published a number of cartoons mocking the Prophet Mohammed.
The main terrorists, all known to the French security services, were all shot by the police themselves. 14 defendants are currently on trial for “complicity in terrorism”.
The attack on Friday took place near Charlie Hebdo's old offices, which were attacked in 2015 by Paris-born brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi.
An armed police officer stands at the site of the horrific knife wounds when two fight for their lives after the attack
Immediately after the knife wounds, a large police presence was seen when schools and the subway were closed
Two of the victims were confirmed as husbands and wives who are employees of Premieres Lignes, a French news and video agency
It was the opening of criminal proceedings by republishing cartoons that mocked the Prophet Muhammad.
Critics said the publication intentionally used blasphemy to incite hatred against Muslims around the world.
The deeply dangerous images originally caused unrest in the Muslim world when they were first published on September 30, 2005 in the Danish daily Jyllands-Posten.
Charlie Hebdo then fully published it in 2006, prompting its writers and cartoonists to receive death threats on a regular basis.
This led to the atrocities of 2015 when the Kouachis stormed into their offices and opened fire.
Police and emergency services vehicles are pictured at the scene after the rampage in the Charlie Hebdo offices in 2015, in which 12 people died
Even so, the newest Charlie Hebdo has the cartoons on its front page under the heading "All That For".
During the seminal trial, defendants faced a range of charges, including acquiring weapons and providing logistical support to the killers.
Three of the defendants will be tried in absentia because they were believed to have fought for the Islamic State in Syria.
The Kouachi brothers died two days after the Charlie Hebdo attack during a police shoot-out at a print shop northwest of Paris.
Those currently on trial, between the ages of 29 and 68, are charged with providing logistics, including cash, weapons, and vehicles, to the terrorists.
The Kouachi brothers, Cherif (left) and Said (right), entered Charlie Hebdo's premises and carried out the brutal attack five years ago
Among the three defendants who will be tried in her absence is Hayat Boumeddienne, 32, known as "France's Most Wanted Woman".
She is also said to have provided logistical support to the three Islamist murderers, one of whom was her boyfriend, 32-year-old Amédy.
Coulibaly shot dead four shoppers and a policewoman in a kosher supermarket during the three days of the carnage.
Boumeddienne, a self-proclaimed ISIS fanatic, is still on the run and is said to have been spotted in a Syrian refugee camp last year.
This court sketch shows the fourteen defendants and their lawyers opening the trial of the accomplices in jihadist murders in 2015
"An arrest warrant against them is out," said a law enforcement agency. She was claimed to be dead, but the secret service took her to the city of Al-Hawl in the summer of 2019.
"The camp consists of thousands of women and children, including many who have been expelled from the ISIS caliphate."
Boumeddienne's DNA was found on weapons stored by Coulibaly, while prosecutors say she made more than 500 calls to Cherif Kouachi in the lead up to the attacks.
At the end of 2015 she gave an interview to an ISIS propaganda outlet with the words: "May France be cursed by Allah".
Two other key defendants in the Paris trial are Mohamed and Mehdi Belhoucine – brothers who broke into the Iraqi-Syrian war zone shortly after the Hebdo attacks and are now believed to be dead.
A message of solidarity with Charlie Hebdo, including the popular slogan “je suis Charlie” (which means “I am Charlie”), was published after the 2015 attack in Paris
Both ISIS and Al-Qaeda took responsibility for the 2015 attacks that marked the beginning of a wave of terrorism across France.
Another defendant is Willy Prévost, a close friend of Coulibaly's who allegedly provided vehicles, including a car.
The other people on trial are Nezar Mickael, Pastor Alwatik, Amar Ramdan, Said Makhlouf, Mohamed-Amine-Tarifs, Michel Catino, Abdelaziz Abbad, Miguel Martinez and Metin Karasular.
Everyone is accused of supporting the brothers Kouachi and Coulibaly to varying degrees.
The trial is being led by five specialized terrorists led by Judge Régis de Jorna.
The entire process is filmed so that a recording can be filed in the French National Archives, but the images are not broadcast live.
(tagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) messages